What is ALA?
The Association of Legal Administrators is an organization of professionals serving the legal community. Formed in 1971, ALA is a national association consisting of over 10,000 members. The Association promotes and reinforces the competence and professionalism of legal administrators and other members of the legal management team by providing high quality educational programs. In addition, the Association brings administrators together in an environment which encourages the exchange of information and ideas at the national, regional and local chapter levels.
Who Are Legal Administrators?
The profession of legal administration was created to support and enhance the practice of law. Legal administrators free attorneys from management allowing them the time to provide quality legal services. Responsibilities encompass finance, technology, human resources, marketing and management related issues. Innovations in technology and ever-changing economic conditions have brought vast changes to the practice of law and expanded the role of the legal administrator. These changes have placed a renewed emphasis on the Association of Legal Administrators to offer continuing education, training and support.
Why Should You Join the Orange County Chapter?
The Orange County Chapter, established in 1979, currently has over 145 members throughout the Orange County area. The Chapter provides a dynamic force within the community, as well as strong representation at ALA's regional and national levels. Your membership in the Orange County Chapter will open the door to a variety of activities and other benefits, and will provide you with the opportunity to work with other members of your profession.
How Can You Get Involved in Chapter Activities?
The Orange County Chapter is always looking for volunteers. We encourage you to offer your time and become involved. The rewards gained from such involvement will benefit your firm and will also provide much personal gratification. We welcome the opportunity to acquaint you with our Chapter!
What Does the Orange County Chapter Offer Its Members?
- OC-WAVES: An electronic newsletter is published every month and sent to all members. The newsletter features articles on trends in office technology, updates on governmental and legislative regulations, and a calendar of upcoming ALA events. We take pride in the fact that our newsletter is not only informative, but also enjoyable reading.
- Surveys: We cooperate with an independent company in publishing a human resources survey each fall which offers localized data on administrative and legal salaries, benefit programs, and personnel policies. Every other year we publish an equipment and vendor survey which serves as an excellent resource when selecting products and services for your firm.
- Member Directory: Published each spring, the Directory lists all members and facilitates communication among administrators in addressing the day-to-day issues confronting us.
- Educational Opportunities: Each month brings a new and varied selection of educational opportunities. There are General meetings, usually held at lunch time, offering guest speakers or roundtable discussion. In addition, there are a variety of Section meetings, providing more specialized discussions in the areas of Human Resources, Small Firm Lunch & Learn, and Large Firm/Branch Office meetings. Workshops and special half-day sessions are held throughout the year on diverse topics, including our well-attended Labor Law Update.
- Other Publications: Publications sent to all members by ALA Headquarters include Legal Management and ALA News. A wide assortment of CDs, audio cassettes, books, and video tapes are also available to all members through the Chapter's Reference Library.
For additional information about becoming a member, contact:
Jessica L. Daugherty, Director of Membership, (949) 975-1000 or email@example.com . Membership in the Association of Legal Administrators (ALA Headquarters) is required for Orange County Chapter membership click here for a look at ALA Membership Benefits